8.8.10

Twenty wishes ... and then some more

When I was twenty eight years old, I was jolted out of the life I knew and at the time wanted, into a new life., I had to figure out what my future would look like. One of the things I did , was try to figure out what I wanted. I did this by writing a list of things I wanted to do ... then I did them -- well all but one. (Trip to Italy) This was no small list - it included the following wishes

1. Go to New York - eat at Tavern on the green , take buggy ride ( done)
2. Buy a really good camera ( manual - done)
3. Sell one of my paintings ( done)
4. Have coffee in Paris - with someone I love ( done )
5. Change my life - get rid of things about me I don't like ( hated that I had no fashion sense back then - done almost all of that sub group!)
6. Make friends different from me ( enter the swampwenches)
7. Live where I want to live ( loved that Lawerance and Yonge apartment !)
8. Fear less, experience more (I have come so far!)
9. Travel Lots ( Paris - check, New York,- check, Italy - pending, London- check, Montreal - many checks, anywhere a short car trip will go - check)
10. Quit smoking ( okay this took way too long to accomplish but I did it !)

These are not dreams or goals -- but things I simply wished for ... and in sharing with others what I wished for and in some cases making my own wishes come true -- I got to experience the things I wanted, and at times needed to move towards who I am now and who I want to be at the end of my life.

I just  recently finished a light hearted book called 20 wishes, an easy read. The writer wrote about the wishes of a group of characters.  I loved the idea of having 20 wishes again in my life and sharing them with people. So I  have decided I would try to come up with 20  new wishes... Staying away from the standards, skinny, rich and powerful ones ...

1. Take a train ride across Canada.
2. Learn to knit - then make a blanket for my daughters bed.
3. Walk the streets of Rome
4. Eat Pasta and drink wine in Tuscany
5. Write a book
6. Watch whales jump
7. Start a charity for children with special needs
8. Learn to cook really good Thai food
9. Listen to the story of someone elses life -- and really experience it through their words
10.Learn to sail
11. Design and make a bag, that I love.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.


Seems I have some more thinking to do on this.. what would your twenty wishes be? Share if you like.

4 comments:

Faiza said...

wowzers! love all your lists!

Melanie said...

@faiza -- they seem to work for me :)

Wendy said...

I'm such a list nerd, I love posts like this! I actually had a wish come true last night--my little guy and I had our very first back-and-forth conversation! Admittedly, it was a VERY limited one, but we're getting there, slowly but surely!!
I'd love to see one of your paintings. I've just started learning to paint and I'm hooked! And speaking of hooked (heh heh), if I'm ever in your area, or you're in mine, I can teach you to knit! In the meantime, pick up Knitting for Dummies. It's good!

Melanie said...

@knitwit -- your news is amazing!!! Every conversation starts somewhere -- Expect no less now!! Wonderful news - you must be so happy. Looking foward to a simple knit project - getting back into the swing of things - currently crochet scarf for fall is the project I am working on -- then it will be to the store for knitting for dummies!